Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Weekly Message from Steve Warner, Head of School (November 7, 2012)


Greetings, GreenMount Community,

            The election is finally over!  I never thought I would look forward to seeing commercials for free carpeting and deals on cars for which Jack says, “Yes!”.  Well, maybe that’s going too far. 
This has indeed been a season of information, and just maybe some misinformation, through which we all had to sift before ultimately making our decisions at the polls.  My voting experience was punctuated by comments I heard while waiting in line.  I vote at a senior center (appropriately) and the best comment I heard came from one of the residents.  A frail lady shuffling by noted the line and remarked, “This is terrible!” (referring to the long line).  “No, this is wonderful,” said one of her friends. “I haven’t seen this much enthusiasm since I was a younger woman.”  Indeed, the turnout at my polling place was exceptional and in a state where many people feel that the results are a foregone conclusion, I think we should be happy that we had the turnout that we did.  I was also impressed with the enthusiasm of voters.  People were friendly, talking about issues and expressing their points of view.  Now, if only the Congress can get together and follow their constituents’ example!
At today’s Morning Meeting, we discussed the expectation of treating others appropriately as listed under “Civility” as one of our Pillars.  I talked to the students about how all of us sometimes will gossip about someone who is not present because we might feel safe from a confrontation that would otherwise result from talking to the person directly.  I gave the example of how adults will sometimes do things while driving a car that they would not think of doing in person.  For example, adults sometimes cut in front of each other in their cars, but would be less likely to do the same while waiting in a line of people.  The car becomes our cocoon that protects us from the confrontation of person-to-person interactions.  Likewise, Facebook, tweeting and other cyber-communications protect us from that direct confrontation.  We discussed this idea and focused on how treating others appropriately include how we speak of them, even when they are not there.  The best GreenMount citizens do the right thing, even when no one is watching!

Cheers,
Steve