Monday, May 12, 2014

Weekly Message from Steve Warner, Head of School (May 12, 2014)

Greetings, GreenMount Community,

            If you missed Taste of Summer this year, you missed our best event ever.  Thanks to the hard work of parents and staff expertly led by Jill Goodman, we all enjoyed wonderful food (the tuna was my favorite), a huge silent and live auction, and best of all, the opportunity to have some fun with so many in the GreenMount community.
 Among the most impressive auction items were the mosaic tiles that students from every grade created.  They were absolutely stunning!  Each student was given a small portion of a painting and asked to duplicate it in his or her own style.  Some students chose oil paints, water colors or acrylics, while some chose to use just markers and pens.  None of the students had an idea of how the final product would look, but it was simply amazing how beautiful and true to the originals the mosaics are.  If you now own one of these treasures and have buyers’ remorse, I predict that one day your investment will produce a significant return.  Can’t you imagine these works in a children’s museum?  Otherwise, you will retain a truly unique work of art.  My special thanks go to  Jon and Chrissy Maxwell, Tim Parmer, and Elizabeth Reed for hatching this idea, organizing the students and assembling their work for display. This project served as a significant learning opportunity for students as well as a great model for demonstrating how a team of students can come together and create something of significance.
            I would also like to take the opportunity to thank so many of you who expressed their best wishes to me on the occasion of my retirement.  I won’t go into how much it means to me for parents to be so generous with their comments, but I do appreciate your positive words. A few parents asked if I was sad that this was my last Taste of Summer event. My reply is that I am sad that I have to wait another two years for the next one!  And I’ll be here for next year’s Walk to the Green. In the memorable words of The Terminator, “I’ll be back,”

Cheers,


Steve