Monday, November 18, 2013

Weekly Message from Steve Warner, Head of School (November 18, 2013)

Greetings, GreenMount Community,

            By now, you have learned that this will be my last year as the head of school here at GreenMount.  I plan to retire, and I hope to get it right this time.
You may know the story of how I tried to retire eight years ago and failed miserably.  The one year that I spent away from a school was agonizing.  However, that year turned out to be one in which I learned many lessons.  My brother-in-law enlisted my help in writing a program for compensation of faculty in independent schools, about 400 of which he works with around the country.  It was during that year that we traveled around the country, visiting many private schools and trying to sell my program, that I got a firsthand look at the world of private education.  We did sell the program to two schools, but they were both located near Los Angeles, California.  One was in Pasadena and the other in Belair.  Both were pretty fancy-smanchy.
The hard part about working with these schools was that they were 3,000 miles away, and getting to face-to-face meetings was grueling.  In one case, we had a meeting at 1:00 p.m. in Belair, for which we left BWI at 7:00 a.m.  We had our meeting, went back to LAX and landed in Baltimore at midnight.  I could feel the blood clotting in my legs on the return trip!
Then came the day late that summer when I got a call to come and interview at a little school that I thought was called the Green Mountain School.  Was I going to move to Vermont?  Long story short, I got the job, and each day since has been a dream come true.  Former colleagues became instantly envious of my good fortune as I described life as the head of the GreenMount School.  And still, seven years later, I consider myself extremely fortunate to have landed in this beautiful place.
But now it is time to move on.  Grandchildren, golf, and old friends who have been after us to join them in the retirement world will somehow have to take the place of the joy I experience every day at GMS.  The good news is that there are many days left to enjoy, and I plan to make them the best of my seven years.  I also find comfort in knowing, without a doubt, that my replacement will be an exceptional school leader.  GreenMount has become well known as a desirable destination (just look at our amazing staff) and I am sure that there are a number of folks out there who will jump at the chance to be part of this community.
            Finally, I must make a confession: at today’s Monday Morning Meeting, I lied to your children.  I told them that there will surely be a replacement for me who will love them as much as I do.  To me, that’s not possible.
           
Cheers, 
Steve