Monday, May 6, 2013

Weekly Message from Steve Warner, Head of School (May 6, 2013)


Greetings, GreenMount Community,

            I have a question for you:  Could we have had a more perfect day for Walk to the Green?  What a grand day, and what a fabulous time for all of us to be together.  I cannot remember an event where I saw so many smiles, so much laughter, and so much good food.  It was almost Norman Rockwell-ish.  I can’t wait to see Chris Hartlove’s photos; I think we will see lots of friendly, animated conversation with parents getting together after a long winter hiatus. I loved watching the children running, laughing and tumbling down the Super Slide.  In my travels around the area I did not see a single unhappy face.  In fact, there were some very unusual faces thanks to our face painter.  Wasn’t she great?  My personal favorite was the gelato guy.  When my wife heard that there was gelato at the picnic, she predicted that I would be in line several times (we have a long story about gelato).  However, I was good – one gelato – one big gelato.

            Another favorite of mine was the classic race down the Super Slide between Mr. Fletcher and Ms. Tonette.  I think you can guess who won.  This event was very important, as the loser will be reminded many times about the thrashing and how that translates to other competitive events like who can best teach math! Speaking of the Super Slide, I think I understood that Lauren Calia raced 15 times?  And I think she won most of those races.  She reported today that her elbows are a little sore – the price we pay for victory.

            So, a special thanks to Jill Goodman, who organized this whole thing.  With a committee of fantastic parents, she was able to plan for every eventuality with the exception of the little girl who wandered into our party (actually, we think, sent by her father) and got her face painted, some food and lemonade before Jill spotted her.  I guess we can say that we reached out to the community (or they reached out to us!).

            It is very quiet here today as the fourth through eighth grade students are off to Washington to visit the Newseum.  I wanted to go, but have a lot to do here today.  Who wouldn’t want to ride on a cheese bus for 90 minutes with a bunch of excited kids?

P.S.  Don’t forget to plan on attending the parent meeting tonight at 6:30.  Child care is available.  Contact Elaine.

Cheers,
Steve