Monday, October 15, 2012

Weekly Message from Steve Warner, Head of School (October 15, 2012)


Greetings, GreenMount Community,

            This morning, I would like to discuss the idea of behavior reflections.  If you consult your Family Handbook, you will find some information about behavior reflections and our philosophy behind them.  But first, let me travel back in time “a bit” to when I was an elementary school student at P.S. 218, Howard Park Elementary School.
I was a pretty good student and tried hard not to get into trouble.  But I had some friends who did not share my value system and eventually they got me in a passel of trouble (yeah, it was their fault!).  This resulted in having to visit the principal’s office.
Now, you must understand that the principal’s office was located on the third floor, where the ceiling mimicked the roof line.  The trek there involved three flights of wide, creaky wooden steps, and the lighting got darker the farther one ascended.  Finally, at the top and having plenty of time to think about what was going to happen, I arrived in his office.  I recall it was a vast room with a curved dormer window at the back.  The principal’s desk was placed before the dormer and he sat behind it, silhouetted against the light from the window.  He was a large man without a face, only a shadow against that window.  I don’t remember what happened that day other than the picture I still have in my mind of the dark figure whose mere presence inspired me to never have to walk those steps again.
            In later years, as a principal myself, I recall some of my colleagues saying that a child should return from the office trembling with fear, and maybe even crying, thus hedging against further visits and also being a visual example for others.  Those principals must have graduated from the same school of mental anguish as my elementary school principal.  Frankly, I never understood any of that.  Perhaps it was because I knew what it was like to have to make the journey into that dark, foreboding place.  So, with the help of my colleagues here at GreenMount, we created Behavior Reflections.  Yes, the child still has to make the journey to my office.  But there are no creaky stairs or a principal without a face in a dark room.  In the process of my discussions with the students who visit we talk about choices and responsibility.  We discuss the Pillars and how the choices made reflect on the stated expectations under each.  It is my intention that students who leave my office come away learning something about themselves and with strategies to help them from making the same mistake in the future.  They write about their choices and we discuss their responses.  To date, ten students have visited me with behavior reflections.  And while this may seem like a lot for just October 15, they represent the typical mistakes that students make as they get used to the expectations of individual teachers.  Out of the ten who have visited, nearly all have done an excellent job of reflecting and they leave the office on that note. “I made a mistake and I took responsibility for it.  I’m not a bad person, just a normal one.  I will try to make a better choice next time.”
            As part of the educational team for your child, I ask that you take time to talk to your child about taking responsibility for their choices and for accepting the natural consequences of them.  A student who cannot refrain from hitting others in gym class may be excluded from the next one. A student who continually forgets his homework may be asked to use his recess time to complete it.  There are also natural consequences at home as in school, but none have to be implemented with malice or in a threatening way.  The consequences are just – natural.

“Acceptance of what has happened is the first step to overcoming the consequences of any misfortune.” – William James

Cheers,

Steve