Monday, October 10, 2011

Weekly Message from Steve Warner, Head of School (October 10, 2011)

Each week Head of School, Steve Warner, addresses GreenMount parents in a weekly letter. This is his letter from October 10, 2011.

Greetings, GreenMount Community,

            One powerful aspect of the GreenMount School community is that our parents   model the importance of being involved in school.  In a 1992 article in Educational Leadership, an “involved” parent is defined as one that demonstrates two key elements.
“First, parents are supportive. They encourage their children and they are sympathetic, reassuring, and understanding. They show a high level of commitment to their children and their education.
Second, parents are active. They are doing something that is observable. This combination of parent   commitment and active participation is what makes an “involved” parent.”
            I think the most important part of this definition is the “observable” part.  I have often said that the most important thing you can do as parents is to be seen in the school and to participate in school-sponsored events or events that are organized for the school community.  I heard that the family camping trip was a huge success.  The children who were there this past weekend witnessed their parents modeling that community spirit.  This is a lesson in life!  Also, when your children see you participating in co-op activities, they recognize that you place a high value on supporting the school and on working to make it the best place possible for learning.
Actually, I think that most kids don’t give this much thought.  What?  As I think about it, it seems probable that our students have just come to expect parents to be involved.  At GMS it has become part of their culture — part of their value system.  Wait a minute, I’m going to interrupt some students to ask them about parent involvement…..
Okay, I asked some students across the hall what they thought about parent involvement.  As I suspected, they don’t give it much thought.  However, when I asked them what they would think if parents were not in the school a lot, they said it would be “weird.”  One student remarked that she would be disappointed if substitutes were not parents.  She said that she feels comfortable and safe when parents are in the classrooms.  As we work to create an ethic of excellence in our school, we can learn from the ethic of parent involvement.  It’s part of who we are, and it is expected.  And that’s exactly where we want to be with excellent work.  It’s who we are and it is expected.
            Now, a word from our sponsor this week: the Co-op Corner.  The first trimester ends in six weeks.  At that time, every parent should have completed at least 10 hours of co-op work.  Please contact Ms. Elaine to review your job preferences or to make a job assignment.  There’s always plenty to do in a schoolhouse where 98 students and 17 adults spend a large portion of their day.

Announcements: 
There will be a meeting of those parents wanting to contribute to our current theme on Thursday at 4:30 p.m.  If you have some Civil War knowledge or information to share, please feel free to join us.

Please don’t forget Adjunct Back to School Night tomorrow at 6:30 p.m. (agenda attached).  Our adjunct teachers are eager to explain their programs to you, and I hope you will come to show your support for them.

“I am of the opinion that my life belongs to the whole community and as long as I live, it is my privilege  to do for it whatever I can. I want to be thoroughly used up when I die, for the harder I work the more I live.” - George Bernard Shaw

Cheers,
Steve